- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot or boiling water (enough to just cover the oats)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, or 1/3 cup light coconut milk and 2/3 cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 frozen banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon soaked chia seeds (1 teaspoon dry unsoaked; see note)
- Combine the rolled oats and hot or boiling water in a small bowl or ramekin and leave until the oatmeal is soft, about 15 minutes.
- Place all of the ingredients (including the soaked oatmeal) in a blender and blend at high speed for 1 minute. Serve at once.
- To soak the chia seeds place in a jar or bowl and add 4 tablespoons water for every tablespoon of chia seeds. Place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. The seeds and water will be become gelatinous but the smoothie you make with them will not be. To add to a smoothie, scoop up a tablespoon of the gelatinous mixture and add to the blender jar.
Recipe via cooking.nytimes.com